Grimm's Fairy Tales - Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm It's one of those times when you can't help feeling a bit too harsh when reviewing a classic. I know I shouldn't expect the best narrative from a book written 200 years back, specially when it's basically a compilation of folktales told by peasants and such. The other aspect I didn't like about the book is that some of the stories were too much alike and it made you feel you already knew what would happen (which in most cases was true). There's also the fact that almost every story has the same pattern in which something has to be done three times so it gets tiresome reading the same dialogue over and over and you end up skipping it; I take it this is an effect of these stories being created to be told, not written, making the repetition of verses in the story easier to remember. And the last critique I have is... well, most of the plot-lines don't make any sense, the most irrational excuses are used throughout all of the stories, leading to abrupt endings some times.

All in all, it's nice to read it and know where some of the mainstream fairy tales come from, as a reference of how literature was back then or as a glimpse of German culture, but don't expect a masterpiece.