The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett I learned about this book watching a TED Talk that featured Adam Savage talking about his personal obsession with The Maltese Falcon. I stumbled into this book twice in different libraries so I decided to give it a shot.

I'm not a big fan of detective stories so I may be missing some elements that are important part of the genre. Fist thing, I found Spade immensely annoying, I hated his whole "I know a lot more than you think" bluff and I couldn't believe no one called him on it. Like when Spade started blackmailing Gutman, saying they couldn't kill him 'cause only he knew where the Falcon was located. Well, Mr. Gutman, killing him wasn't the only option to get the bastard detective to talk! Instead Gutman agrees to every sily demand Spade makes and even pays him a lot of cash. Ugh.

Wilmer had to be my favorite character on the story. He was the only one to have some sense and loyalty. Shame he got screwed over near the end 'cause of Spade.

The ending redeemed the book a bit for me. I really would have hated it if Spade had ended up teaming with O'Shaughnessy. Glad she finally got some of what she deserved.