Odas. Olímpicas. Píticas. Nemeas. Ístmicas. Fragmentos de Otras Obras de Píndaro. Otros Líricos Griegos (Sepan Cuantos, #248) - Pindar, Archilochos, Tyrtaeus, Alcaeus I'm finally done with this book. It took me several years to pick it up again and now that I did it still put up a fight.
Pindar's victory poems were my favorite in this compilation, even if they could get a bit tiring if read one after another, that being because they can be very similar in structure and even themes. You've got to know your Greek myths well in order to get most of what Pindar writes, for there can be up to two or more heroic stories per poem.
At first I wasn't so thrilled about the nature of Pindar's works since they were commissioned poems, making them seem a bit false to me. But I found some very quotable verses and interesting points in his verses.
The second part of the book was a compilation of other Greek writers' works. I was put down by the fact that the translation was made to rhyme. It's nice that the translators made the effort of trying to emulate the original poems' musicality, but I would have liked it better to be able to have the exact translation of what was originally written. It makes me uneasy to think that the meaning could get lost in translation just 'cause the translators wanted to keep things melodious.