Poema de Mio Cid (Sepan Cuantos, #85)

Poema de Mio Cid (Sepan Cuantos, #85) - Anonymous Oh, mio Cid! I'm glad I wasn't forced to read this when I was a teen 'cause I'm sure I would have hated it. Now that I'm almost on my mid twenties I decided to give it a shot; I expected it to be boring and long and I was surprised to have be it be simple but emotive and even interesting. Perhaps it's just me being a fan of knights of any kind but I enjoyed it.
The language wasn't too archaic to be tiring, or at least it was not in comparison to the Greek texts I've been reading lately. Things I didn't like was the constant naming of places and people that didn't really add much to the text. I read on one of the footnotes of the book that some of the locations mentioned were very accurate with Spain's geography, which is nice and would have been appreciated by me if I was a Spaniard.
One thing I was a bit bothered by was the fact that Cid didn't come across as really clever. Most of the battle strategies were someone else's, usually coming from cousin Minaya Alvar Fáñez. He was also easily tricked by the Carrión brothers and when he realized he was affronted by them he just asked to have his money and weapons back and cajoled others to get revenge on the offenders, all this while he headed back home to chill on his mansion. It seemed to me like he went on taking other people's credit all the time.
Bottom line, it wasn't so bad and it went by fast enough for me to be forgiving of its downsides.