Las alas rotas

Las alas rotas - Kahlil Gibran I got this book 'cause I wanted to know what all the hype was about this author. I had previously read something by him but it was a collection of really short stories so I couldn't get a proper idea of what the guy's writing was about.

I tried to read it on the first months of this year and dropped it after a few pages; it felt too pretentious and slow. Months went by and I ran out of things to read so I decided to give it another shot. After some Goethe and some Dante, Gibran's writing didn't feel that tiring anymore. This is one of those book I would usually have disliked with all my might, too poetic and with little plot. I continuously felt the story was too unrealistic and engineered to be a tragic love story. You could predict the whole thing since very early.

I hate myself for it but I enjoyed the way the story was written. That's totally not like me, I can't stand poetry unless it tells a very compelling story and that wasn't the case here. Maybe I was on a sentimental moment but I found some of the author's metaphors and comparisons moving.